Gothic castle founded in 1348, occupies among Czech castles exceptional position. Karlstejn was built by Czech King and Roman Emperor Charles IV. as a place to store royal treasures, collections of holy relics and crown jewels.
In 1355 Charles IV. stayed at the castle, supervised the building and decoration of interiors, especially the castle chapels. The castle was completed in 1365, when it was consecrated Chapel of the Holy Cross in the Great Tower.